Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Are You an Expert in Social Media?


If there's piece of advice that every college senior should know, it's make sure you complete at least one internship before you graduate. There's no debate that a college degree is a very important to having a successful career, but it is only one piece of the puzzle. There are certain things that a college education cannot teach you, and this is where an internship comes in. Internships give students valuable experience and show employers how a student might fare in the actual workplace.

Like the example above, just having a Facebook or a Twitter is not enough to be branded an "expert", or mean that you know something about social media." Trust me, anyone can set up a Facebook page, or send out useless babble on Twitter.

In order to become an expert, you need to actually practice social media on a continual basis, like I'm doing with this blog.

I've never been a big fan of the "work" aspect of school. As a college senior, I came into this year wanting to try as hard as I could in my classes, but I realize that I just can't make myself care too much - and that's ok. Because I have a direction of where I want to go with my career, I know I can just focus on that and everything will turn out alright.

Instead of doing work, I'll often be on my Google Reader, reading over 30 plus blogs and learning more about social media, digital marketing, public relations, and advertising. Instead of studying, I'll comment on the blog posts I found interesting, send out via Twitter the links to 10 articles I read that day, post videos to my Facebook, and blog about the things that interest me.

Through my reading and active engagement on social networks, I'm learning more and more everyday, so much that I've become an "expert" of sorts on social media, so much that some of my friends now come to me for advice.

The best part about all this is that I don't need a traditional resume (I do have one), or have to worry about whether my major will land me a job. The reason being that the proof is in the pudding. Across the internet, on blogs and social networks, I have branded myself as someone who knows a decent bit about social media. When I begin applying for jobs, I hope that an employer doesn't judge me on the basis that I attend Duke University, but rather on the basis that I know how to create, manage and market content, and engage with people across various social networks.

Being an expert in social media is not easy, and its not supposed be, otherwise everyone would be really good at it. It takes time, and it takes practice, but if you're really serious about becoming an expert, you'll put in the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment